Krista Brockberg ’15 Posted on November 14th, 2014 by

Tell us a little bit about yourself: I am a senior from Chaska, Mn and grew up with two older brothers who also attended Gustavus. I’m involved in FCA, Proclaim, Gustie Greeters, as well as intramural sports on campus. During the summer I love being on the lake and grilling out with family.

Why did you choose Nursing as a major? Growing up, I watched my grandma struggle with lung cancer and my grandpa with parkinson’s disease. My mom told me stories about the terrible car accident she got into when she was 16, sending her through the windshield; she was lucky to be alive. After hearing about and seeing the incredible care they received from the nursing staff and the compassion they showed, I knew that it’s what I’m meant to do.

I’m currently having my clinical rotation at Methodist Hospital in the birthing center, which is definitely my favorite. It is generally a very happy floor with healthy moms and newborns, and to be honest, the miracle that new life presents really fascinates me.

First things first, PASS THE BOARDS! 🙂 I had an internship at the University of Minnesota Medical Center Fairview over the summer so I plan to apply for positions throughout Fairview. I would love to start in a birthing center, but any experience is good experience so I will be open to any position to start!